Wednesday 23 February 2011

Singapore Hawkers: Found: Hougang 6 Mile Muah Chee

"Oh, Do you know the Muah Chee Man?
The Muah Chee Man? The Muah Chee Man?
Oh, Do you know the Muah Chee Man?
Who sells on Avenue 8?"

Okay, so I've taken a few liberties with the song, but Muah Chee is more local than muffin. Muah Chee (quite similar to Japanese Mochi) is a sticky dessert made from steamed Glutinous Rice Flour and dusted with Peanuts (some stalls also add Sesame Seeds). To my knowledge, this variant can be found in Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan. Recently I was in Taiwan on Holiday and met up with an old secondary school classmate in his hometown of Miaoli.He brought my wife and I around and let us try Taiwanese Hakka Muah Chee along with other Hakka Delicacies *Yum* but that is a story for another time.  

Since 1952 the stall proclaims, where it was previously located in the old Simon Road Market or as we Hougang "Nang" (teochew dialect for persons) like to call it (Lak Ko Jiok or literally translated to 6 mile) market. I believe it used to be run by the parents of the current stallholder.  
When the market was torn down to make way for re-development (that open ground next to Kovan Melody), I heard that the stall had moved to a coffeeshop at Block 682 Hougang Ave 8. It was by chance when a colleague of mine had driven me out for lunch at a nearby Coffeeshop last week that I realised that he had relocated to new premises. The new stall looks like so:
Muah Chee, Mochi, Hawker, Singapore, 6 mile
Technology may have moved with the times but he still does it the old fashioned way i.e. separating the pieces of muah chee by hand. 
In the pic below he is scraping the peanut mix to consolidate it in a pile.

Muah Chee, Mochi, Hawker, Singapore, 6 mile


On why there are no close up photos of the Muah Chee. Let's just say I was so busy savouring it that I forgot to take a picture. Hehe, it happens to the best of us. 
Taste Verdict: Still Very Good, it was easy to swallow as the texture was very smooth (not clumpy or overly sticky) and coated with a generous dose of peanuts. You can ask for Sesame Seeds too if you want. 
Brownie Points: I was da-bao-ing (Singapore Chinese term for take-away) 2 packs of Muah Chee and he asked if I was gonna eat them soon after. I said I was saving it for later and he gave me an additional packet of peanuts (at no extra charge) to add to the Muah Chee later so that the peanut mix would still be fresh. Now that's service!
Price : $2 (Small), $3 (Medium), $5 (Large)
Where to Get It: Hougang (6 Miles) Famous Muah Chee
                              Blk 644 Hougang Ave 8, Broadway Coffee Shop 
Opening Hours: Daily: 12noon – 9.30pm

No comments: