Tuesday 29 March 2011

Singapore Hawkers: Discovered: Kok Kee Wanton Noodle

Backtracking to a few months ago, my colleague and I were on our way to Mustafa Shopping Centre after work when we decided to head to Lavender Food Square to eat the famous Wanton Mee (Dumpling Noodles). Wanton Mee is basically noodles with Char Siew (Sweetened Roast Pork) and pork dumplings (wanton). Usually done dry either with dark sauce only or with sauce and Ketchup.  I had heard so much about this stall from my uncle and I passed by the place many times but I never ever stepped in to try until that night. You can easily find this stall by the long queue of people waiting for Aunty and Uncle to serve them.
My colleague waited in line while I moved around the food court to find an empty table. Having found seats, I decided to order a plate of fried carrot cake to supplement our dinner and even after the fried carrot cake arrived, I waited quite a while more before my friend made it back to the table with the plates of wan ton mee in tow. Fast food this is NOT! Here's what I got:
 The noodles were covered in an unusually orange-reddish sauce and were complemented by few slices of char siew and a few wantons.

Taste Verdict: Noodles were nice and springy, Char Siew was mediocre, Chilli was nice and the sweetish-sour gravy surprisingly goes very well with the whole package. Unfortunately, you can't eat this and expect to be full. I've categorised this as Jia Song (Hokkien/Teochew for eat to savour the taste) definitely not Jia Ba (Hokkien/Teochew for eat to be full)

Price: S$3.50  (Just found out they raised it to S$4!! Now it's definitely daylight robbery)
Where: 380 Jalan Besar, #01-06 Lavender Food Square
Operating Hours: 12noon – 2.00am (Closed every 3 weeks on Weds & Thu)

No comments: