Tuesday 15 March 2011

Singapore Hawkers: Uncovered: Kim Kim Cooked Food (Nasi Lemak & Economic Bee Hoon)

Since I shifted to Ang Mo Kio (I had previously been in Lorong Ah Soo for the last 26 years) a few months back, I've been learning things about my new surroundings every day and a major part of this is the discovery of the better hawker stalls in the nearby market and coffee shops. I will try to feature lesser known stalls that I find deserve your attention. 
Today, the subject of my post is a stall which recently came into my radar, Kim Kim Cooked Food. This stall which sells *Nasi Lemak (Rice cooked in Coconut milk and served with a variety of dishes) and Economic Bee Hoon to cater to the breakfast crowd, especially to the aunties and uncles doing their marketing at the wet market/hawker centre. It is located in Teck Ghee Court Food centre which also features Eng Kee Bak Kut Teh which I had featured in an earlier postMy lovely wife had pointed this stall out to me as my mother in law had previously bought a packet of noodles from them.
How do you find the stall? Easy! Just follow the queue. It is normal to see a  queue in front of this stall. This time I decided to get a packet just before I made my way to the office. Luckily there were only four people in front of me so I didn't have to wait very long. Here's a peek at the types of dishes they sell:
There is a decent variety of dishes to go with your favourite choice of carbohydrates. Choose from Nasi Lemak rice, Fried Bee Hoon, Fried Kway Teow (white flat strips of rice noodle) or Fried Noodles. Then mix and match the dishes you want to add. The stall is fronted by the uncle (whom you see in the above photos) and the auntie behind who concentrates on churning out fresh batches of food that run out. That day, I stuck to my usual which was a packet of Bee Hoon, a sunny side up egg, a chicken wing and some cabbage. 
The Bee Hoon was quite tasty and served piping hot. The cabbage was not overly soft and had a bit of crunch to it. The egg, although not visually very appealing, was not overcooked and had a lovely, drippy yolk. The chicken wing was coated with a crispy flour coating and was a decent accompaniment to the noodles. The red sambal chilli was excellent and boasted a sweet, spicy, slighty salty flavour and you can taste the belachan in it. It went really well with the noodles (and it goes really well with Nasi Lemak rice too). I find that the food served here is always hot and fresh, which means their turnover is pretty good. You can try your own combination of Staples and side dishes and see what works well for you.
So what's the great appeal of this stall ? What makes this stall stand out from the other nasi lemak / economic bee hoon stalls in the area?  I believe it is a combination of great tasting food served hot and reasonable prices that draws people back for more. So if ever you're in the neighbourhood, why not give it a try? and if uncle ever asks, tell him I sent you :)    


Taste Verdict: Tasty Bee Hoon. Cabbage was done just right, Sunny side up egg with liquid yolk centre which I like. The Red Sambal chilli boasts a sweet, spicy, slighty salty flavour with more than a hint of belachan.  


Price: $2.50 for a packet of Bee Hoon, a sunny side up egg, a chicken wing and some cabbage which is quite reasonable in this time of rising prices. 


Where: Kim Kim Cooked Food,
Blk 341 Ang Mo Kio Ave 1
#01-29 Teck Ghee Court Food Centre S564341
Closed on Mondays


*Nasi Lemak is malay for "Fat Rice". It is so named because the rice is cooked with Coconut Milk to give it a rich flavour and pandan leaf is added in the cooking process to give it extra fragrance. There are generally 2 kinds offered here in Singapore, the Malay and Chinese versions. 

1 comment:

Demon said...

Just trying my luck here.. do you know if the stall is still open? Moved out of AMK but missed the food from this stall. Went several times on weekend to find the stall closed.