Tuesday 19 April 2011

Fast Food Escapades : Texas Fried Chicken (@ Nex Mall)

Hey pardners, Texas Fried Chicken (can I call it TFC?) has returned to Singapore, Yee Haw! Back in the 80s, it used to be known as Church's Texas Fried Chicken and I distinctly remember the brown logo with what I believed was a picture of a cowboy. Do correct me if I'm wrong, it has been quite some time. Currently they have opened 5 outlets in Singapore and I dropped in on a Sunday afternoon for lunch at the outlet in Nex Mall. Here's what I ordered:
A 3 piece meal as shown above. S$9.60 gets you 3 pieces of chicken,one biscuit, a side (I chose Fries) and a drink. The chicken is available in original and spicy and being the asian that I am, went for the spicy. Warning: If you can't take chilli, please avoid the spicy else you may be in for an butt burning aftermath.
A closer look at the 3 pieces of chicken:

Taste Verdict: The chicken is quite juicy and that includes the breast meat which is no mean feat. The spicy flavour (I think it is some sort of chilli oil) gives a nice kick to it and when added to fresher chicken is a treat. The bones are clean and whitish, unlike the dark stained bones of a certain competitor. My only complaints are that I felt the batter could be more crispy (compared to what I've tried at the Expo outlet, the batter is a tad soft) and the pieces are smaller (again when compared to those I tried at the Expo outlet). I only ordered 3 pieces so they shouldn't be so eager to give out wings (which I find really too small). The biscuit was quite crumbly and salty, very forgettable.

Price: At S$9.60 for a 3 piece meal with a biscuit, one side and a drink, it is a sure sign that Fried Chicken in Singapore is getting less and less affordable.

Compared with Competitors: Definitely a cut above Broaster chicken (also in Nex Mall) and Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits. For me, Texas is on par with Arnold's Fried Chicken for freshness and taste but depends on the outlet you are comparing against (For Texas, Expo is the best for me and for Arnold's, the City Plaza outlet is the best) . 

Where: 23 Serangoon Central, #04-18/19/20, Nex Mall , Singapore 556083. 

Business hours:10.30 am to 10.30 pm (Sun to Thur)
10.30 am to 11.30 pm (Fri & Sat)

Bonus Tip: Don't throw away the receipt so quickly. 
If you notice the bottom of the receipt (see above), they ask you to complete an easy survey at http://www.texaschickensurvey.com within 3 days of your visit. Upon completion, you will get a 5 digit validation code which you can write on the receipt and use to redeem 2 pieces of chicken free with any of purchase of a combo meal.I applaud them for being sincere in getting feedback from the public and rewarding those who do so. Cheers!


No comments: